Monday, August 11, 2008

Passport 2008 - Gordon College, MA

As many of you know, I went on a trip with the Emerywood Baptist Church Youth to Gordon College outside of Boston, Massachusetts a few weeks ago. The trip was to Passport which is camp with a mission theme. Every day we were there, our youth and the adults on the trip visited various mission sites which included schools, Boys and Girls club, area churches, and assisted living homes. During most of the afternoon, we served the small town of Lynn with our mission work but while at Gordon College, the youth got to be spiritually fed through their camp counselors and time with their own youth groups. We stayed in dorms and had lots of activities and camp-wide parties (recreation party, volleyball tournament, dance, and talent show). I have been asked what I walked away from camp with and this is always my answer: a new found confidence in my abilities to teach/mentor youth, ministering to strangers, new relationships with the youth that I did not have before, and an opportunity to be spiritually fed without outside distractions. I was personally assigned to a carnival at a church in Lynn. Many single moms that worked either nights or did not work at all came to the carnival with their children. We played lots of games, had water slides, and free food. I met a mother who was a drug addict and another who was a member of a gang. It was very interesting how this opportunity came about after my having Meredith...it definitely opened up the opportunity to be able to connect to other moms and use that as part of my way to minister to these moms. I could go on forever about the trip...if you want to see more pictures than below, go to my facebook page! I want to say a special thank you to John, Elaine, and Anna Ruth for helping take care of Meredith so that I could go out of town. Thank you and I love you!

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones